Your cart is currently empty!
George building collapse: NHBRC officials accused of manipulating system to cover up irregular approval
A detailed investigation into the tragic George building collapse in 2024 has revealed alarming findings of misconduct and system manipulation within the National Home Builders’ Registration Council (NHBRC). The partially constructed apartment block, which collapsed and killed 34 workers, has become a symbol of systemic failure and negligence in South Africa’s housing oversight.
On Friday, Human Settlements Minister Thembi Simelane presented the investigation’s findings to Parliament’s Portfolio Committee, outlining a series of regulatory breaches and questionable actions by NHBRC officials.
Approval Without Proper Documentation
Simelane told MPs that the application submitted by Liatel Developments, the company behind the George construction project, was not accompanied by all the necessary documents. Despite this, the NHBRC went ahead and approved the building plans, initially for a single-storey structure.
However, over time, the project expanded — without appropriate oversight — into a five-storey building, a drastic deviation from what had been authorised. Tragically, the structure collapsed while under construction, leading to one of the deadliest construction-related accidents in recent years.
George building collapse
Officials Manipulated System and Shared Logins
The investigation has also uncovered that one NHBRC official used the system login credentials of a colleague who was on leave to approve the application. This serious breach of protocol not only violated IT security policies but also raises questions about how such an act could go unnoticed.
Minister Simelane described this behavior as an effort by officials to “cover their tracks” and make it appear that due process had been followed.
“The officials might have tried to reengineer, for lack of a better word, the inspection record so they could close the gap that they didn’t inspect, but it is showing that they did not,” Simelane explained.
Lack of Inspection and Technical Assessment
The report revealed that NHBRC officials failed to inspect the construction site before granting approval. Site inspections are a fundamental part of the council’s mandate to ensure safety and structural compliance. Skipping this step — especially for a project that later morphed into a multi-storey development — is a serious dereliction of duty.
Even more concerning is the council’s failure to verify whether Liatel Developments possessed the technical expertise and capacity to undertake a multi-floor construction.
“The NHBRC also did not assess whether the developer was technically capable of executing a project of this magnitude,” said Simelane. “This was a clear oversight that cost lives.”
Weaknesses in NHBRC’s IT Systems
Minister Simelane expressed dismay that the council’s IT systems could allow critical steps in the approval process to be bypassed entirely. The current system, she said, makes it possible to complete the application and approval process without uploading all the required documentation — a glaring flaw that she insists must be urgently addressed.
“The fact that the system can allow such a process shows that serious IT improvements are necessary,” she told Parliament.
Calls for Accountability and Reform
Following the collapse and subsequent investigation, multiple NHBRC officials are now facing internal disciplinary proceedings, and criminal charges may follow for those found to have deliberately circumvented legal and procedural requirements.
Simelane emphasized that this tragedy should serve as a wake-up call for the entire housing and construction sector, and that sweeping reforms would be introduced to prevent similar occurrences in the future.
“This incident highlights not only a lapse in individual responsibility but a systemic failure that we must now work tirelessly to correct,” Simelane concluded.
The George tragedy has sparked nationwide outrage, with many calling for greater transparency and stricter oversight in the construction sector. The findings of the investigation will likely serve as a blueprint for major changes in how housing developments are approved and monitored in South Africa.